Sunday, January 30, 2011

It Took A Village

"Perhaps the importance that we must attach to the achievement of an artist or a group of artists may properly be measured by the answer to the following question: Have they so wrought that it will be impossible henceforth, for those who follow, ever again to act as if they had not existed?" - Walter Sickert, 1910

We all encounter “Not Found” or “Internal Service Error” pages as we surf the web.  These errors come up when a website is down or when a URL no longer exists.  We usually exit the page, start another search, and continue to browse. But if we take a closer look at the bottom, an error page, “Apache”, is almost always there. What is Apache? (And no, we’re not talking about Native Americans.)


For years, I’ve sporadically seen the word “Apache” online and have assumed that Apache had some sort of Internet monopoly.  I have since learned that Apache is a software server for the web.  My intuition was on the right track, since Apache is the most popular HTTP server on the Internet.  But, unlike most monopolies, Apache does not make money. Apache was the first software to truly compete with Netscape’s web server. Apache has changed the way computer programmers, network managers, and website creators compute. However, its significance goes far beyond computer geeks. Apache is the quintessential example of successful open-source collaboration.

Like many technological innovations, Apache started with a few people that trusted each other.  The difference between Apache’s developers and other technology innovators is that the Apache creators did not program in a garage with each other. The Apache developers did not even know one another-- Apache programmers coded online.  As of right now, the Apache Software Foundation has contributors from all over North America, South, America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. It started as a handful of people contributing to the code and turned into a community of thousands of programmers collaborating online.  When someone saw a bug, they fixed it.  When someone had an idea, they coded it and when the community liked it, it stayed. The amazing thing is no one assigned tasks and no one had a schedule. These passionate programmers volunteered to build a web server that is the foundation of the vast majority of every single website on the Internet today.  How is it that they built a better web server than “professional” corporate programmers?  IBM stopped competing with Apache and even used it!   

The story of Apache is special.  It is the first real and widely used creation that came from an online community.  If you look at all of the open-source creations that we have today: Wikipedia, OpenOffice, Firefox, Audacity, Linux, VLC, MySQL,  BitTorrent… the list goes on. Apache paved the path for its successors.  Apache gave inspiration to the free software movement where no one person takes credit. Strangers across the planet worked together towards a common goal. Of course there was and still is other free software and examples of open-source collaboration, but Apache’s utility with the Internet combined with it’s incredible collaboration platform makes Apache extraordinary and inspiring.

I doubt that many computer programmers can imagine the Internet before Apache. Can any of us imagine the Internet without open-source software or without large amounts of online collaboration? I sure can’t. I don’t think the free software movement could ever act as if Apache never existed.  

5 comments:

  1. It's very interesting how open software has been successful in the backgrounds, but rarely the foreground. Sure, lots of web servers run open source software, but OpenOffice and Linux has been quite unsuccessful for the end user. Yet, developers can't live without it. Imagine a world without Linux, without Eclipse, without SVN or Git, or even without Android. Well, I can't imagine that. I definitely agree that it's inspiring how much can get done with open source software--especially Wikipedia. As for the future, I hope that someday there'll be something that can compete effectively with programs like Microsoft Office or Apple's proprietary everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Apache before. It always surprises me the amount of things that open source software can do. At least in the computer science classes I've taken it seems that everyone has his/her hard drive partitioned with Linux running on it. Ubuntu seems as widespread as Windows or Mac OSX. I can't understand how open source software can remain free when software of the equivalent quality sells for hundreds of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered, it having the unique, very nontechnical name that it has, what Apache is, so kudos for a very interesting and informative post. It's one of the hallmarks of the internet age that we are able to collaborate with others across the globe to create a product that otherwise would not be fractionally as effective. It has been written a thousand times before and has a cheese rating of 100, but we all benefit when we all work together and according to this post, Apache is a prime example of this. Likewise, I can't imagine a world without Linux, or Wikipedia for that matter. Open source software has indeed laid the foundations for the internet as we know it today and in an idealistic world, where everything was open and collaborative, we would be much further along in technological developments. But then you open a whole 'nother can of worms about capitalism and human motivation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the great untold story of so much of the internet--how many really amazing 'inventions' were done just because people wanted to do them, to make something, to make something better. Apache is definitely one of those inventions. You've found a nice 'hook' here for your writing. What other untold stories of internet development are there to tell?

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I like your banner. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete